1. 2008 Post doc Fellowship at Aga Khan Program, Massachusetts Institute of Technology USA
2. 2004 ‘Best University Teacher Award for the year 2002’ from Higher Education Commission, Government
3. 2002 cash prize from UET on the book “Earthly Paradise: The Garden in the Times of the Great Muslim Empires”
4. June 1 – September 30, 2000 Starr Foundation Senior Visiting Research Fellowship Center for Advanced Study in Visual Arts, National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.
5. 1997-98 Senior Fulbright Scholarship to work at Aga Khan Program for Islamic Architecture at Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology U.S.A.
6. 1998 “Best Published Book Award” for the year 1996 given to The Mughal Garden by National Book Foundation, Ministry of Education, Government of Pakistan
7. 1998 American Institute of Landscape Architects: Professional Award on Mughal Garden Project
8. 1996 Worked in the three-member committee to prepare nomination file of Rohtas Fort for its inclusion in the World Heritage List. I prepared a research study “Military Architecture in South Asia: A regional Perspective”, and did Physical Documentation of Urban Fabric of existing Housing and Topographical Survey of the site. As the result of this effort, the monument was included in the World Heritage list in 1997
9. Summer 1995 Summer Fellowship to work at Dumbarton Oaks, Trustees for Harvard University, Washington D.C.
10. 1994 Allama Dr. Muhammad Iqbal Award given to Pivot of the Punjab: The Historical Geography of Medieval Punjab as best book on Punjab written in 1993 given by Information and Culture Department Government of the Punjab.
11. 1994 Cash Prize given to Pivot of the Punjab: The Historical Geography of Medieval Punjab by University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore.
12. 1977-1983 Cultural Exchange Scholarship offered by Government of Romania for studies leading to Ph.D.